Active Chance grants are structured to support our mission, values and funding principles.
Our areas of focus.
Active Chance awards grants to projects dedicated to:
- Improving quality of life
- Helping people reach their full potential
- Building better communities
Projects can fall into broad areas of focus including education, health, poverty alleviation and community development but we tend to not fund issues that already receive a lot of attention and financial support.
Our funding cycles.
Our funding cycles run quarterly and include a one-month application period, one-month review period and one-month award period:
- Application Period: The online application process is open and applicants can complete and submit their online forms.
- Review Period: The online application process is closed and submitted applications will be reviewed.
- Award Period: Grants are awarded to successful applicants and any required follow-up or due diligence is completed.
Refer to the Important Dates section for dates of current and upcoming funding cycles.
We award grants of:
- 500 NAF
- 2,500 NAF
- 5,000 NAF
- 10,000 NAF
- 25,000 NAF
The number of available grants of each size may vary each funding period depending on focus, the total amount of grant money available for the period, etc.
Our eligibility requirements.
In addition to fitting within our areas of focus, projects need to meet certain requirements in order to be eligible for one of our grants. Our eligibility requirements scale based on the size of the grant such that applicants asking for a 10,000 NAF or 25,000 NAF grant need to meet more requirements than those applying for a 500 NAF, 2,500 NAF or 5,000 NAF grant.
Requirements for All Grants
- Applicants can be an individual or an organization.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they are already doing good work and making a positive difference in their community by providing a recent history of past projects and/or work/volunteer experience.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate financial need by answering a series of funding related questions.
- Applicants must not request funding for more than 50% of the total cost of the project. Applicants must demonstrate this by providing budget and funding information.
- Applications that receive an average rating of 50% or less during the review process (rates applications against our published funding principles and grant requirements) are ineligible for further consideration due to a lack of fit.
- We do not accept applications requesting funds for capital projects that benefit private owners. Capital projects that benefit communities and/or the public good are acceptable. For example, if a project is run out of a privately owned space, while we commend the lending of the space and may support other aspects of the project, we will not fund improvements to the space.
- We award conditional funding to winning projects that have not yet confirmed all of their funding. If, however, a project is built in phases that allow for certain goals to be met with partial funding we will consider waiving the conditional funding requirement. If applicable, applicants will have to demonstrate that they are eligible for waived conditional funding.
- Applicants can apply for only one grant in any given funding period.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they will use the funds within 12 months by providing the project start date and indicating when funds will be used.
- Applicants must agree to provide follow-up information on their project for use on the Active Chance website. If you are awarded a grant a condition of the grant is submission of a Project Follow-Up Form once your project is complete. Submission of a completed follow-up form is a requirement; grantees who do not submit a form will not be eligible to reapply with us at any time and we may seek to recover our funds.
- If you are awarded an Active Chance grant and your project is delayed for any reason such that it is unable to start within 6 months of the grant award, (including, for example, if you are unable to secure the balance of funds required to start your project) your grant will be withdrawn and you’ll have to reapply.
Additional Requirements for 10,000 NAF and 25,000 NAF Grants
- Applicants must be a formal organization.
- Applications must include supporting documentation including a detailed budget, Chamber of Commerce registration, articles of incorporation, financial statements from the past two years and an organizational chart.
Our application, review and award processes are managed online through our grant management software (powered by Submittable), therefore, all correspondence from Active Chance relating to grants will generally be done online or via email. We reserve the right to amend any aspect of our grant program at any time in order to ensure its legitimacy and/or effectiveness.